Frank Schophuizen, currently working on the same project as I do, wrote an article on Configuration Management
He distinguishes three types of configuration management:
- Configuration management of the deployment environment
- Configuration management of the development environment
- Configuration management of the project’s products
He also distinguishes two types of CM-ers:
- The environment oriented CM-er, often an expert with the CM tools
- The management oriented CM-er, often more an assistent project manager.
Many non-CM persons do not see the difference, and do not understand that when having one person or the other makes a great difference in the responsibilities that the project manager and the developer carry.