What do you need to do to run Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2 on a Dell D620 with the Glass goodies enabled:
- Get a Vista install image and product code from the Microsoft Vista Preview Program.
- Install on the machine, preferably on a new partition. Vista will autodetect earlier versions of Windows and will provide a multi-boot option.
- Disable the sleep options in Power Management. Sleep is bugged in Beta 2 and will hang your session, which is increadibly annoying since it is set to run on 5 minutes idle by default.
- When Vista is booted it will not recognize the Intel 945 graphics. Since Aero/Glass needs a WDDM driver (a new driver model) you cannot use the ordinary XP drivers. Instead, manually select the “Lakeport” drivers from Intel (already available in the Vista install).
- Activate the installation in the Computer > Properties section (activation is pretty well hidden for some reason).
- Next, re-evaluate your performance rating (again on Computer > Properties > Performance).
- Go to the appearance options (right click on desktop > personalize > Visual appearance) and select Aero.