Roy (A colleague) sparked me with some new inspiration to try something new. He wrote an article on ADO.NET data service which made me excited to try this one out. I didn’t think much of it first, but I’m eager to try it out and see how it holds up with a more elaborate application.
The first experience with this new framework however was a bit dissapointing. After creating a new ADO.NET entity model and configuring the data service I got completely nothing in the browser. I configured the access rules correctly, double-checked the configuration but no success.
As it turns out, having an old CTP for ASP.NET 3.5 futures was preventing me from creating a data service with the correct .NET assemblies, thus using faulty code. The CTP I had has a bug the prevents the service from showing the entities correctly in the feed.
The problem can be solved by uninstalling the old CTP bits and repairing the .NET 3.5 Beta 1 installation. The last part is optional, but I can recommend it, because mine was really broken down after uninstalling the CTP bits.