Last week I moved some code over to my “orcas” beta 2 installation and tried to compile it using MSBuild. At first it didn’t go any further than trying to compile, since MSBuild lost its mind somewhere along the road, complaining about illegal paths in my solution.
As it turns out MSBuild isn’t really comfortable with dots in the project name. E.g. MyProject.Interface.csproj doesn’t get compiled by MSBuild, it will come up with an error telling you that there’s an illegal character “.” In the path. Microsoft confirmed the error and is going to fix it. Meanwhile, you can work around this by removing the “.” from the project name. The assembly name etc. can remain the same.
I ended up renaming all of my projects in the solution, after that it ran just fine.