As I already wrote, I am busy investigating SP1 for Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, while playing around with RDS, I Noticed the following, I could not log on to my RDS Server. so I decided to set up two environments that are the same except for one thing: SP1 versus no SP1. while doing so I noticed the following:
During the adding of the role Remote Desktop Services and m ore specific: the role service Remote Desktop Session Host, one is asked which users should have access to the desktop services.
In my no SP1 environment it looks like this:
resolving of the group works perfectly: the group name is displayed.
In my SP1 environment I add the group using the add button, it looks like the resolve works perfect:
But clicking the OK button results in the following:
After installation and the obligatory reboot the Remote Desktop users group looks like this:
Empty as it seems (and is), no user, that is a member of the RDSUsers global security Group can access the RDP protocol and thus is not allowed to log on to the server.
when trying to add this group through the local group management tool,
It adds first to the interface,
But when clicking OK or Apply, it gives me the strangest error screen:
This is quite a show stopping glitch:
I have not found a work around yet. I will report back to Microsoft. and I’ll keep you posted.
It seems that the Resolving of SIDs to usergroups is a bigger problem:
The left screen is a local policy, whereas the right screen is a Domain Based policy.
After closing the GPEdit tool the following is shown:
If my RDS server was not a proper member of the domain, the resolve would not have worked in the first place, so it looks like there is a serious issue with SID to Username Resolves, and this is preventing users to log on to the RDS servers that are upgraded to SP1 at this point.