At Info Support we are involved in the Microsoft Technical Adaption Program for Visual Studio Team System codename Orcas.
As part of this program we recently downloaded the Virtual PC Image containing Visual Studio Team System codename Orcas beta 1. (You can download it from the Microsoft site here.)
Last week I ran into some trouble when I was renaming this image. Another colleague of mine was using an image with the same name. I decided to rename the Virtual PC and add it to the domain to prevent further trouble.
First I renamed the machine and restarted the image. Next I added the image to our corporate domain. Then I followed the steps as described here to reconfigure the Team Foundation Server.
Al seamed well, until I tried to connect to the Team Foundation Server using my domain account. I got the following error:
TF31003: Your user account doesn’t have permission to connect to the Team Foundation Server http://server:8080/. Contact your Team Foundation Server administrator and request that the appropriate permissions be added to your account.
I verified that I was administrator on the image. I tried connecting with the local administrator and that worked just fine. When I looked at the Group membership under the Team Foundation Server settings, I noticed the domain users where not listed in the Team Foundation Administrator group.
I tried adding the domain user explicitly. This resulted in the error:
Team Foundation Server could not resolve the user or group ‘Martijn Beenes’. The user or group might be member of a different domain, or the server might not have access to the domain. Verify the domain membership of the server and any domain trusts.
This error message triggered me to check the application pools used by Team Foundation Server. The identities of these application pools were all configured to use a local user account.
I changed the identities to a domain account we have available for services. When connecting to Team Foundation Server I still got an error message. And even worse the TFSWSS application pool had crashed.
It turned out that I needed to add the domain user (which the application pools were running on) to the local IIS_WPG group as well. This solved my problems.
Hopes this helps.