Yesterday I visited another SQLPASS NL meeting. This time we had a session with the SQLCAT team who brought with them 2 members of the SQL Core development team.
The purpose of the meeting was for the team to get feedback on the issues that there are out there amongst us.
I issued the following features requests:
– The ability to read from a mirrored database. For example through read snapshot isolation. This way you could use database mirroring for both high-availablity and scale-out purposes.
– The ability to switch in and switch out filegroups in a database, comparable to partition switching.
– The ability to set a filegroup to read-only without having to go into single-user mode.
– Better support for restore operations in the GUI. Just like the Guided Restore of Quest’s Litespeed (it will ensure that additional backup files are automatically added to the restore when a transaction log or differential backup is selected using the restore wizard.)
– GUI support for restore of partial backups.
What is high on your wishlist for the SQL Server DBMS?
P.S. : Although most of the issued raised where already on there priority list, we should not expect them to be in the next release (SQL 2008 R2), as they try not to introduce any major changes to the SQL Core engine with this release. R2 will be focused on BI (Gemini), Azure, Madison and StreamInsight.